This week in our social justice class we talked
about Abelism. Ableism is discrimination or prejudice against individuals with
disabilities (Merriam-Webster Dictionary, 2013). Ableism prevents many people
with disabilities from having the same access to services that average people
have no problem obtaining. People with disabilities are in a
constant fight to obtain the rights as average people because they face many
barriers on a daily basis, whether it is systematic or physically.
We had a guest speaker come in and talk to us about
people with disabilities. We played this game where we had to figure out the
history of disability movement in which they occurred and line up in order. Through playing
this game I learned a lot of things that I did not know about the disability
movement/people with disabilities. I also learned more about the harsh things
that they had to go through as well, such as sterilization.
Reading the chapter about Ablesim and discussing it
in class, I really learned more about people with disabilities and how to use first
person language. Learning about first person language in class and learning
what to use instead of the terms I use in my own vocabulary is going to be a
process to change. However, the main thing I learned from the
reading and discussion this week, is that no one should let their inability to
do something keep them from striving to do their best because everyone is capable
of achieving their goals whether they have a disability or not.
Looking at Ablesim through a social work perspective
I see how strong advocacy is for this group of people and how fighting for their
rights as an individual is very important on a marco level. If we do not work to change things on a marco level all the work that we put in on a micro level will seem useless in my opinion because if we want to see change we have to start with the legislation that is enacted while still working on an individual level with clients.
Observation
If you are a person with a disability Social Security
can help, by paying benefits to these individuals who cannot work. Here is a
link to an article that talks more about it. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/social-security-can-help-those-who-can-t-work-due/article_8adfb683-60e1-5c88-99c3-b257bf22ee40.html
Comment #1 (Blog 10): Chanin, I also found the game to be empowering and educational. Some of the historical facts were surprising and almost hard to believe. Our society ignores many of these policies and actions we have taken towards people with disabilities, and I find it disabling in and of itself. Thank you for posting!
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is enlightening to discover the systematic and Dailey trials of people who are "disabled". I think this population is largely overlooked in society and even in social work here at UT. I think there needs to be a stronger focus on the policies and ways to help people with disabilities in our field. Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDelete