I really enjoyed watching
the Ted talks from Brene’ Brown this week in class. I have listened to these
talks in some of my pervious social work classes, but actually listening to the
talks again put a lot of things into perspective for me. I appreciate her for
studying human connection and how the power of vulnerability plays into that
human connection. I gained so much information from this video and learned that
vulnerability is not a weakness but is a tool that is needed in making
connections. Before I even heard about Brene’ Brown’s research I always viewed vulnerability
as a weakness and felt that many people would judge me and see me as weak if I
did let my emotions show. I have been told that I am too vulnerable (emotional)
by guys but I guess being caring makes you vulnerable. I also doubt myself
sometimes before I even try to anything and I think this is where the shame and
fear comes in that Professor Brown talked about. As she conducted her research
on shame and fear she found that excruciating vulnerability lies within these
to emotions, and listening to her explain this more I totally agree. I feel
that a lot of us put up walls and have these stoic personas to us. I am also a
person who does this because I don’t want people to judge me and at times I am
afraid to let people see the real me, unless they are really close to me. The
fear/shame that we have as individuals keeps us from doing many things in our
lives and making connections with people. Nobody in this world is perfect and
there is no such thing as perfection, so why are we still afraid to be
vulnerable around others?
This talk was more intriguing
to me the second time around because I was able to apply it to my own life and in
my work as a social worker. The one thing that stuck out to me that I feel is
good for social work practice is where she said “we can’t practice compassion
with other people if we cannot treat ourselves kindly.” This is the number one
key competent I feel is essential to your work as a social worker especially on
a micro level when you are working with your clients. In order to help others
we have to know how to help ourselves first (self-care). As social workers I
feel that we are empathic towards our clients and their situations but at the
same time we have to control our emotions to help our clients achieve their
life goals (we can be vulnerable but not too much because we have to draw a
line between business and personal). The connections that we build with our
clients and the empowerment that we give our clients (by showing them that they
are worthy of more) is what I want to strive for throughout my career as a
social worker. At the organizational level I feel that we have to be
compassionate about the people in our community and understand the community
that we are living in and show the
people in our community that they are worthy of belonging.
Observation
There will be an a human trafficking talk on October
21st held at Gregory Plaza from 7-9pm where students can talk and
connect with organizations working to end human trafficking and the issues that
led to this. https://www.facebook.com/events/155520127991799/
I like how you related the personal to the community level and that while compassion starts inside of us, it can reach a wider scale by getting vulnerable and letting go of shame and guilt. This too is something I am working on in my personal and professional self. I am glad we get to discuss these issues in class because I think it gives us the perfect place to practice letting go and being open.
ReplyDeleteYour observation is really helpful. After looking at the link to the Facebook page you provided, I definitely think I am going to go! It looks like it could be really enlightening and interesting! Thanks so much for the resource!
ReplyDeleteI really respect you admitting that you yourself put up walls to keep people out in order to not seem vulnerable. I think I do the same exact thing, I just don't always admit it. However, it's like you said in another blog most, the first step we take must be with ourselves.
ReplyDelete