Thursday, September 26, 2013

Warning Shot Case


Today my coworker and I were talking about social issues and the injustices that go on in society. She told me about the Marissa Alexander case which really grabbed my attention. I know that this case might be old by now, but this was my first time hearing about it. Marissa Alexander is a Florida woman serving 20 years in prison for firing a shot at her estranged husband (Fineout, 2013). This warning shot as every news broadcaster and reporters are calling it, was a form of self-defense for Alexander. She tried to claim her action of self-defense under the Stand Your Ground Law, but it was unsuccessful in her defense and led to the jury’s verdict of 20 years in prison. The case has set off yet another controversy involving the states "stand your ground" law, which is under intense scrutiny after the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in February (Fineout, 2013). The 1st District Court of Appeal ruled that Alexander deserves a new trial because the trial judge handling her case did not properly instruct the jury regarding what is needed to prove self-defense (Fineout, 2013).

After I looked up more information about this case it was interesting to me that she was a victim of domestic violence by her husband. Alexander and her ex-husband have a baby with one another; could this have led to her still being trapped in this abusive relationship? Marissa said that her ex-husband Rico Gray beat her regularly, including while she was pregnant with their child (Liberation News.org, 2013). Reports also say that Gray has a history of physically abusing women (Liberation News.org, 2013).  I know that for victims of domestic violence it is hard for them to leave an abusive relationship due to the mental abuse they experience, and because they fear that leaving their significant other (the abuser) will have a bad ending. There are numerous reasons for why women may stay in abusive relationships, but when they defend themselves they are penalized for it. This reminds me of the book Provoked that I haven’t finished reading. This book is about the case of Kiranjit Ahluwalia in England of 1979 who killed the man that abused her for years. After reading numerous articles about this case, Marissa reported some incidents between her and her partner to the police but denied some of the acquisitions after she reported them, which is a thing I think that many victims of domestic violence do.

Looking at this case through a social worker lens and not through a racial lens (which I think that some people may be viewing it) it seems as though many pieces of the puzzles are missing this case. None of the articles I read about this case ever said anything her seeking help from a domestic violence agency in Florida or anything about a social worker in this case to advocate for her. However agencies that deal with victims of domestic abuse try to provide them with all the necessary resources that they need and safety, but the victims must be willing to seek help. I don’t know how this would connect on a macro level in social work, but I think that social workers could work with legislators to help change some the policies for domestic violence if possible or just try to advocate for them is some way.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/26/marissa-alexander-new-trial_n_3995869.html

Observation
I read a CNN news article about Nicholas Lowinger who is 15 years old stated a group that gives new shoes to homeless children after his visit at a homeless shelter with him mother who works in various homeless shelters in Rode Island (Klairmont, 2013).

4 comments:

  1. I've been following this story as well and see many problems with the way it had been handled by the justice system and the media. I agree with your suggestions that something needs to be done on a macro level to reinforce policy that protects individuals who face violence, regardless of race, gender, or sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have followed this story as well. I think macro issues are here in several places, legal, media, and advocacy. I would love to see domestic violence advocates dedicate time and effort to addressing these issues in the media, commenting on media representation and teaching journalist how to better cover this kind of news. In addition to the legal issues, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this insight you guys I am trying to get my mind to think on both a micro and macro level instead of a micro level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree that something needs to be done about the policies surrounding domestic violence. i have been following the article and didn't see it this way!

    ReplyDelete